From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jan 2002 22:34:21 -0500
News flash - feces normally has lots of bacteria!

Sorry for the sarcasm, but I hear it all the time.  "We are giving
antibiotics because my vet did a fecal smear and saw bacteria."  Or "my
vet diagnosed a clostridial infection because he saw lots of large rods."

The bottom line is, every ferret gut is loaded with bacteria (just
like yours and mine), and they are present in feces by the zillions.
Visualization of bacteria is no sign of disease in ferrets.  It is only
when certain types of bacteria overgrow the normal flora and upset the
applecart that GI disease occurs.  The only useful tests are those which
identify the type of bacteria - certain cultures are available for bad
actors like Salmonella, as well as a special PCR test for Helicobacter
(although its usefulness in this ubiquitous infection is at best
questionable.)

Let's remember -

Feces + bacteria equals NOTHING.

With kindest regards,