From:
Jerry Jackowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 1998 18:35:57 +0000
Good Day FMLers!,

I would like to thank the GLFA for putting on such a wonderful show this
past weekend.  Our northern neighbors were as hospitable and gracious as
always.  I was very impressed with the location and size of the facilities
and no doubt there is plenty of room for expansion.  I have a comment that
I would like to throw out for discussion though.

This doesn't just apply to this show, but to all shows where inquisitive
non-ferret owners might be present.  The GLFA (as with most shows) charge
admission for those not participating in the show.  I believe it was four
dollars for adults and something a little less for children.  If you think
about it, a pretty high cost to pay just to be curious, especially if you
are a family of four.  I am not trying to discourage admission fees maybe
just reclassify them.  I know these fees are a great benefit to the club
and help offset expenses of the show.  However, I witnessed several curious
people who were attending other events at the facility leave because of the
required and slightly high cost of admission.  This troubles me for several
different reasons.  If one of the main purposes of the clubs charter is to
provide information and educate the general public about ferrets.  Then why
would they restrict that opportunity to those who have the ability to pay
for it?  Especially when so much free information is available at these
shows.  The shows are the perfect place for people to see and talk with
experienced ferret enthusiast and not be influenced by some slick talking
uneducated sales associate at a local pet store, which in turn could help
prevent impulse buying.  Without a doubt, the vendors would love to have a
more diverse crowd of people attending these shows.  I run into people
everyday who have never seen a ferret let alone heard of a "Ferret Show".
One factor of a show's success is its attendance, which is based on its
advertising and past history.  Those people who attend will tell others and
so on.  The shows are also a great place for the club to advertise its
local presence and support, which could be a security blanket for those who
would be interested in acquiring a ferret as a pet in the future.

I would think that everyone who would not be a threat to show attendee's
and their ferrets should be welcome.  Maybe the best solution is to request
a donation opposed to an admission fee.  Most of these groups are
classified 501(c3) nonprofit and donations are tax deductible, which is a
much easier pill to swallow for those who do not have ferrets.  Maybe those
who bring a ferret to the show should be asked to pay an admission cost
especially to help cover the cost of insurance and everyone else could be
asked for a donation.  You gain nothing and loose everything from turning
interested people away.

I will have pictures and information of the GLFA show available for viewing
on my web site at http://www.angelfire.com/oh/jnjack/antics.html some time
Wednesday.

Have a great Week!
Jerry, Nita and the Ten of Hearts Gang