From:
"Charlene M Lowe (Charlene Lowe)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 1995 10:25:41 -0600
Subject: Ferret Adoption -- People with AIDS

>My partner Javier and I both have AIDS.  We love our beautiful Albino,
>Toto, very much.  Are there any organizations that can help us?  Any
>advice?  We would be so happy if we knew Toto will be taken care of
>regardless of our health.

Javier, Eli and Toto - I believe there is an organization that can help you.
Call POWARS (Pet Owners with AIDS Resource Service). Their phone number is
212-246-6307 (they are in NYC).

For those on the other coast, try PAWS-LA (Pets Are Wonderful Support) -
which now has 800 clients, 700 volunteers and 1200 pets. 213-876-7297

Or PAWS, founded in 1987 in San Francisco, who combine veterinarians,
doctors, and food bank workers in a campaign to supply pet food and to
educate doctors not to tell patients with AIDS to give up their pets.
415-241-1460

These are the big 3 organizations.  People from across the country heard of
the first three and still largest groups, and now 17 organizations (or more)
are running nationwide in cities including Philadelphia, Chicago,
Washington, St. Louis and San Diego.  Most adopt the acronym PAWS.

Cats, then dogs, top the ranks, but birds, turtles, ferrets and even snakes
can also receive care.

Charlene