From:
Troy Lynn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 20 May 1994 09:15:00 -0400
Ferret's ears get dirty easily.  It's recommended to clean ears 2-4 times
a month with a mild ear cleaning solution and cotton swabs.  I use gentle
solutions made for dogs and cats  - Gent-L-Clens, Fresh Ear Cleanser, and
Earoxide are three that I've used without problems.  Unfortunately these
cannot be purchased in the grocery stores but maybe through veterinarians
or pet stores.  I order mine through a vet catalog.  Anyway the easy way
to clean ears is to poor a little solution in a small lid and dip the
swab in the solution and then clean the ear.  Clean outer ear first and then
very gently clean just the entry of the ear canal, be sure not to go too
far in or you could damage the ear drum.  Use plenty of swabs and be sure
the ear is dry.

If you'd like a copy of our ferret care handout "Is A Ferret Right For You?",
send your mailing address to:  Ferret Family Services, PO Box 186, Manhattan,
KS  66502  or e-mail to [log in to unmask]
This is a four page handout that we send home with new ferret
people and it is very basic, but it does give them an idea of what is
required of them to care for their ferret.  Hope this helps.  Troy Lynn