Date:
Tue, 20 Jul 1999 04:02:11 +0000
First, I want to thank everyone who has sent letters of encouragement
regarding my loss of Esperanza, who will always be very dear to me and have
a special place in my heart.  I am in the process of thanking everyone
individually as well.

Now I need help locating a vet who has experience with right
adrenalectomies.  Lucky Charm's left adrenal was removed earlier this year.
Her vulva continues to swell -- now the tissue above it is actually hard to
the touch -- and it's irritating to her and continues to produce a
discharge.  This is in addition to her hair not growing back.

My current has done four adrenalectomies but he regards them as very
dangerous and would rather not do it.  He would rather let the cancer
progress as long as she's not losing weight or muscle mass, but I'm not so
sure it's a good idea to wait until she's in a weakened state to do
something about it.  He measured her vulva and wants to measure it again in
two weeks, which is fine but I'm not convinced based on reading material by
Dr. Williams and others on the Web that we couldn't be doing more.  It
turns out he also has a family member who has cancer and he may not be
feeling that confident right now.  My other vet, who is probably one of the
most experienced vets in the city and certainly one of the best, has never
done an adrenalectomy.

I'm willing to drive a long way to get Lucky Charm looked at and operated
on if necessary.  Maybe even to see Dr. Weiss or Dr. Kawasaki.  And that's
a long way from New Mexico.

Please let me know if you can recommend anybody.  At the very least, I
would like a second opinion.

I would also be interested in hearing from people whose ferrets have
undergone right adrenalectomies.

Thanks.

Linda and Lucky Charm