From:
Rick White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Apr 2005 14:56:20 EDT
>Do you do your own ADV testing and  vaccinations or do you rely on a vet
>to do these basics?
>
>[JY]

Everyone has to work within their individual or organizational scope
of abilities.  I will not say that you are wrong in your analyses of
any shelters or individuals expenditures in caring for their ferrets;
however, I must point out that there are many factors other than money
that you have omitted in your analysis.

Many state, county and municipal laws prohibit the sale of Rabies
Vaccines except to Veterinarians.  Most of these entities require that
the vaccine be administered by or under the supervision of a State
Licensed Veterinarian.  Many others prohibit the use of Rabies Vaccines
any animal other than private domestic livestock.  The issuance of a
Rabies Vaccination Tag can only be issued by a Licensed Veterinarian in
many states.  Many municipalities also require a pet license, which
requires the rabies tag and license tag be affixed to the carrier during
transportation, and affixed to the leash or collar of the pet when
outside the carrier in public.  These laws are mandated equally for dogs,
cats and ferrets.  As I said, these requirements vary, depending on your
locality.

Not everyone is trained and/or equipped to handle a severe vaccine
reaction.  Unfortunately, adverse reactions, as seldom as they occur, do
still happen.  I only have the numbers from our local vets, but a 3-5%
reaction is not uncommon.  I do not like to use figures because any
statistician can tell you that figures lie, and liars figure.  Canine
distemper vaccines can be bought from any number of pet supply firms;
but again, are you really prepared for a severe anaphylactic reaction?

Sadly, the oral swab testing used for ADV has to great a variance in test
results to be the decisive conclusion for a positive/negative ADV
determination, especially in a populated environment such as a shelter.
The blood test has been proven by our vet to provide the best tool to
date in ADV testing.  We tested 10 ADV positive ferrets with both tests;
10 blood samples returned ADV+, only eight of the oral swab tests
returned ADV+ and two were ADV-.  All samples were taken by a highly
qualified veterinarian under controlled methodology.  That's proof
enough for me!

Yes, I'm sure that most all shelter operators are very cognizant of every
dollar they spend.  I know we at SAFE are ; but these questions must be
asked: Are we in compliance with the prevailing laws governing rabies
vaccinations?  Are we applying good science and sound judgement in
administering the canine distemper vaccines ourselves?  Do we really
trust the efficacy of the ADV test method we chose?

SAFE is blessed with a wonderful support group, friends of ferrets and
fantastic veterinarians and clinic staff.  Our mission is as complex as
it is simple; Provide - Promote - Protect.  The one question I have to
answer is: Which is more important to me personally and to the
organization I spend money for; The lives of the ferrets in our care
or the money spent on them?  Ferret Lives vs.  Money.  The ferrets win
every time.

I do apologize to all for being loquacious, and to anyone I may have
offended.

Dooks and  Blessings,

Rick White, Treasurer
San Antonio area Ferret Enthusiasts  (SAFE)
Chapter of the American Ferret Association, Inc. (AFA)
Tel:  210-661-9195 or 210-661-0608

Come visit the SAFE Web Site..._www.saferrets.org_
(http://www.saferrets.org/)

Great  Ferret Products................_Fuzzy Sleep Center_
(http://fuzzysleepcenter.terrabox.com/)
Free  Information Download........._The Ferret Owner Manual_
(http://www.thechipster.com/fert-man.html)
Texas Ferrets & Rabies ............_TX. Regs.  Rabies/Ferrets_
(http://www.tdh.state.tx.us/zoonosis/REGS/rabiesvacc/new.pdf)