From:
Lara Tyminski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 00:06:42 -0600
I missed the segment of the Larry King show where Jack Hanna was talking
about ferrets, but did see the remainder of the show.  I don't remember a
Tarantula, there was a scorpion though.  I just want to warn about accepting
second hand info as fact.  A scorpion was described as having a sting like
a bee, not a spider in the segment I saw.  Before we start spouting off
lets be sure we have the facts re: what was said.  Read the transcripts of
the show, then calmly compose a letter.  Use spell check and don't swear.
If you come across as a lunatic, your opinion will be disregarded.  Both
Jack Hanna and Larry King could be valuable allies in educating people
about ferrets, lets help them to do so... It's rare that we will find
anyone with whom we agree 100% of the time, but when deliberate
misinformation is being spread, it's our job to right that wrong.

Wild Kingdom, with Marlin Perkins, and Jim ( up the river without a paddle)
is not what I would refer to as a reputable animal show.  It has been
revealed that many of their animal attack scenes were staged with the prey
animal being tethered to a stake.

If you want good roll models, look to Jane Goodall, Ian Redmond and the
like, and to a lessor extent, but more relevant here Jean Carley, whose
name I fear I have misspelled.  Their work will stand up to close scrutiny,
and is being done to help the animals and the environment, not simply to
entertain or make a profit.

'Deaf as a doornail' The actual quote, at least as stated in the 1950's
movie version of Dicken's classic, A Christmas Carol, Is " Old Marley was
as dead as a doornail.  This must be distinctly understood if anything
wonderful is to come of the tale I'm going to relate."  Though there are
no ferrets in this film, it is my favorite movie, Christmas or no.

And that's my two cents worth.  I hope everyone and their families,
including those of fur are having a safe and happy holiday season.

Lara