From:
Margaret Merchant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 23:36:35 -0600
Hey Everyone,

Yep, it's me, the loudmouth Southern broad.  I am still alive and kicking in
Columbia, just been extremely busy with school.  Lots and lots of reading
and writing.  Even a murder mystery set here in Columbia, after all, they
say write what you know.  Got some damn good short stories going.  Looking
into some wonderful graduate programs too.  Keep the collective fingers
crossed.

The fat boys are no longer hobs.  Got dem boys clipped last week.  I got
tired of picking them up only to have them dribble on me.  Just like a man.
humph.  They are doing just fine and haven't as yet noticed the change, as
near as I can tell.  Just shovel them raisins their way and they are just
happy as clams.

Speaking of, well, it was rather hilarious.  I took dem boys to get fixed
and after it was all said and done, the vet called.  The conversation went
something like this:

Margie?
Yep.
The surgery went fine. In fact the boys are doing great and would probably
appreciate coming home now. Actually, could you come and get them RIGHT NOW?
They are stinking up the whole office!!
:::::cackle cackle:::::::
OK, oh ferret goddess, you can stop laughing any time now.

After I went to pick them up, we had them on the exam table scanning the
chips.  Well, I had this small carrier with a wire top for them, it was
open and a couple of inches of the top were hanging over the edge of the
table.  William promptly walked onto the wire, sqatted and peed all over
the place.  hehe.  I had to laugh again, even in great fear of my life.

Actually, I have a wonderful vet who is going to come here to give shots
and to microchip the whole crew, rather than making me haul them into the
office.  I can't ask for more than that.  I have decided to chip them in
case of illness when they are in the care of a sitter.  No sitter or vet
knows them as well as I do and having so many I feel a responsibility to
take such precautions.

I have been a way station for ferrets of late.  Shelter ferrets have
adopted my house as a meeting place for get together with new owners and
such.  What cuties!!!  I just love playing with all the new ferrets, and it
is very rewarding to have even a little bitty part in helping them find new
homes.  Plus it gives me a good excuse to eat pizza. ;-)

As for the name, my name that is.  Right before I decided to move to
Missouri to go to school, I was seeing a marriage counselor who helped me
to redefine myself.  Part of that redefinition was choosing a new name for
myself, from an old song that I loved from my teenaged years.  I felt
Missouri was a new start (even if I have a long history of relatives and
friends here, my ex got two degrees from the school.  It is still so cool
to me to look up his graduate papers on the school library system) that I
needed a new name.  But I really didn't.

The two biggest loves of my life, my father and my ex, both called me
Margie.  I miss it, especially since talking to Alan alot lately.  I have
decided that she never actually left and it is much more me than ever.
Also, silly as it sounds, I call myself Margaret.  As do my closest and
oldest friends, the ones that have known me since before I moved here.

I also seem to have gotten a new nick name.  Saint Margaret of the Five
Pussies.  No, I won't say who did it but she is a chosen sister who lives
behind the Zion Curtain.  hehe.  Why you ask?  Well, I may be taking in two
older Siamese, bringing my total to five.  My big sis just lost her father
and she is unsure what will happen to them.  So she may bring them here.
And the above nick name is in reference to an old English comedy, "Are you
being served?"

And yes, got tired of arguing with the school server.  I was the only
person that I know that relied solely on that exercise in frustration.  So
I gave in.  I can still receive email there, but the more reliable is the
new one.

Give all your fuzzets hugs from their Auntie Margie.

Margaret Marie