From:
Claire C <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Aug 2006 11:59:41 -0400
On Aug 26, 2006, at 2:00 AM, Susann Thiel wrote:
>it's very clear that the claims Dr. Weisman is making about himself
>(including the fact that he's a doctor) are not true.
>
>Here are some interesting links - the first one describes the
>suspension of his chiropractic license in the state of Minnesota.

I want to point out that the title "Doctor" is valid for more than
just MDs.  Those with a Doctor of Chiropracty are doctors (and yes,
Northwestern offers a Doctor of Chiropracty).  Those with DO degrees
(Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine) are doctors.  DVMs (Doctor of Veterinary
Medicine) are doctors.  ODs are Doctors of Optometry.  DDSs are Doctors
of Dental Science (dentists).  NDs are naturopathic doctors.  AcDs are
doctors of acupuncture (recognized in Canada and some states).

You may not believe in the validity of some of these fields, but they
are valid degrees, and holders can call themselves "doctor".  You can
also hold a doctorate in a non-medical field, which entitles you to use
"Dr." In academia, a PhD is the "real" doctorate, since an MD is not as
advanced as a PhD.  Many MDs go on to get a PhD.

This is not to say that Dr. Weisman is necessarily reputable or right in
his views.  The fact that he had his license suspended raises serious
questions, and I really don't like the tone of his letter.

On the other hand (and to address the actual question), once nutrients
are broken down to the state they must be in to be absorbed by the
intestine, it doesn't matter whether the nutrients were originally
animal, plant, or even just synthesized in a lab.  BUT the probem is
that food doesn't come broken down, normally.  Ferrets don't have the
enzymes, and don't have a long enough gut for intestinal bacteria to do
the job for them.  So they can't in practice digest vegetable matter.
If this fellow really has a process for predigesting the food -- yet
preventing spoilage -- then it's possible the food is fine.  It would be
like those who are lactose- intolerant (as I am) nevertheless being able
to drink Lactaid milk.

Now I can drink Lactaid, but there are times that even that bothers my
stomach, and I think it might be the same with enzyme-processed pet food.
The enzymes don't necessarily get everything.  I'd hate to try to live
on dairy products, even with a good supply of lactase enzyme.  So I'm
not saying this guy's food is good, just that it's theoretically possible
to make such a food.

-Claire