From:
Claire C <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2006 09:53:03 -0400
On Oct 3, 2006, at 4:00 AM, Jo Ellen Johnson wrote:

>My little Marty has that ferret disease that makes them loose their
>hair, can't think of the name right now but would know if I heard it.
>He seems happy otherwise but he is old and the vet said he probably
>wouldn't make it through the surgery.  We have decided to wait it out
>and the vet also said we would know when it was time to make that final
>decision.  I can not bear the thought of loosing him and him not being
>here.  It just makes me sick.  I don't want him to suffer....
>If someone out there could give me some advice or has been through this
>and has had to make the decision please let me know.  I just do not
>want him to suffer but I know I am selfish not wanting to loose him....

I have an old adrenal guy, Sammy, who was in the same boat.  He slept a
lot, but still took treats with gusto, would explore occasionally, and
seemed to enjoy life.  So we decided to just give him the run of the
place, and let him eat what he wanted (including treats that are not good
for him); the idea was just to indulge him in his last months.  He went
completely bald, except for a tiny bit around his head, and remained that
way for almost a year.  Then about 2 months ago, he spontaneously regrew
his hair and seems to also have more energy.  He is still frail, and
still sleeps most of the time, but definitely is enjoying life and his
indulged status.  We are just thankful for whatever extra time his
remission has given him.  It can happen.  For how long, who knows?

I should also say that I have another ferret who became adrenal, but
developed an enlarged prostate and became unabile to urinate.  He too
is elderly and not a good surgical candidate, but thankfully lupron seems
to be keeping his problem under control.  (expensively, though; it was
$350 for a single multi-month injection).  I'm afraid this is far more
typical than Sammy's remission, and we watch Sammy very carefully to
make sure he is still peeing okay.

-Claire