From:
Sheila Crompton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 07:25:17 +0100
Percy Pwood Georgia Wood <[log in to unmask]> wrote
>Defense - the word is defense, with an 's'.

When are you guys going to learn to spell <vbg>

>Why is it necessary to speak in sarcasm anyway?  We don't refer to you as
>'that dumb-sh*t brit', now do we?  And for Sheila, and Chris, and Eggie,
>and EVERYONE ELSE, we think of you as 'our esteemed UK friends'.

Thank you.

<big snip>
>No, we don't hunt with our ferrets, in most of the United States it is
>illegal to do so.

Your jack rabbit is more or less the equivalent to our brown hare and
doesn't really lend itself to being hunted by a ferret.  The ferret can
also be used for hunting rats - anyone who uses ferrets against rats is
likely to get a bit more than they bargained for from me.  I've seen what
can happen to a ferret that was used for ratting.

>Some of us view with a raised eyebrow the practice of hunting with
>ferrets.

With a bit more than a raised eyebrow at times:-(  Some folk object to the
rabbit recipes.  When I was a kid rabbit was on the menu at least once a
week - it was "off ration" and was much appreciated as a supplement to
the meagre meat ration.

>Others would love to try it, and have asked for more information.

I would say that this reaction is more common than the "Oh how could you?"

>We need to be tolorant of each other.  I am a frequent visitor to
>Sheila's pages (Hi, Sheila!) and view with interest the many rabbiting
>photos.  At least I've stopped shuddering.  I don't know if Sheila still
>shudders when I say "put clothes on ferrets, it's fun"!

I wasn't too sure what my reaction would be when I went ferreting for
the first time.  I guess I must be an anomaly, not many vegetarians go
hunting... however, ferrets are carnivores so it's part of their natural
instinct to hunt.  I look upon ferreting as the natural and most humane
way to control rabbits.  BTW we have millions of rabbits and 5 rabbits
can eat as much as one sheep.

>Yes, we are terrified of Hoof and Mouth...

Don't you mean Foot and Mouth?  It's heart breaking seeing the pictures
on TV.  I'm living about a mile from an exclusion zone.  "Blurr" says the
countryside is open????  I'm going down to London tomorrow, photo shoot
with the ferrets.  I phoned a friend to ask if it was possible to go into
Burnham Beeches or Black Park as I wanted to let my two lurchers have a run
off the lead.  The answer was "No".  The countryside is open?  I think not!

>Sheila - about those sandy ferrets... get a move on, shake a leg,
>time's a wastin!

Did you ever sent me photos of your two?

>Oh, aren't these cross-cultural exchanges great?

Yes... I think....

--
Sheila
Bolton Ferret Welfare & N.F.W.S. News Editor.