From:
FerretMom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2000 21:46:10 -0700
>They [the Cole's] are a wonderful addition to the ferret community in my
>estimation.  Did I say they had gorgeous ferrets?

Gorgeous ferrets does *NOT* equal humane treatment of ferrets!  A beautiful
coat or unusual markings does not mean that the ferrets had tender, loving
care.  (That is not a statement about the Cole's!)

Several other people and I have seen pictures and heard a first hand
account of the living conditions for those Two Pole ferrets.  Ferrets
deserve better.

>Unfortunately from the last time we saw any of Charlie's ferrets there
>should be quite a sizable cull of the breeding stock.  There were quite
>a few problems with the ones we saw.

I have 2 Two Pole ferrets.  One ferret was originally intended for breeding
stock and the other was culled breeding stock.  One has a beautiful, soft,
luxurious coat while the other has unusual markings.  I adopted both of
them from a "shelter" that took in surplus ferrets from Two Pole.  But
both ferrets developed severe health problems at a younger age than any
of my other ferrets.

So yes, Anonymous - I share your concern in a big way.  Doesn't more
ferrets = more ferrets in shelters?  How is keeping that many breeding
ferrets any better than the vilified Marshall Farms?  While they may not
euthanize ferrets at 3 years of age, will they be kept as anything but a
source of revenue?

There simply aren't enough hours in a day to give those ferrets the life
they deserve.  Ask any true shelter operator.

I hope all of you in or near Tennessee will not let down the ferret
community like those of us in Oregon have.  I hope you will guide the
Cole's to be sure that they focus on the health *and* well-being (mental
and physical) of the ferrets in addition to a pretty coat.  Please
encourage them in the right direction and be sure that they run a
"busyness" not just a "business".

  -Carla