From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jul 1998 03:44:15 -0500
I've brought Simon home from the vet so we can spend as much time together
as possible.

Its 1 am Sunday morning and I just finished feeding simon 5 cc of A&D mixed
with duck soup and a dollop of nutrical.  Then I carefully washed off the
stool running down his back legs, dryed them with a air dryer, then smeared
a tiny bit of cream on his reddened bottom.  I gave him a light rub down and
grooming, followed by a warming gel pack to his chest.  Then I gave him his
lasix and digitalis, and placed him in a chest sling next to my heart.  He
sleeps, with his freckled nose just under my chin.

Simon's gums are purple and the skin under his fur is blue.  He can no
longer move his back end, and can only sway when lifting his head.  He
sleeps almost all the time.  I am confident he is comfortable at present,
but a syringe of sleeping potion is stored in the fridge should it be
required.  At hand are cotton swabs and a container of corn syrup mixed with
honey.  There is an eye dropper and a small bottle of pedylite.  A small
oxygen bottle sits on the floor, with the end of the tubing inserted through
the bottom of a plastic medicine cup.  A small jar of chicken broth is open
and waiting.  Simon sleeps.  I start at each sound he makes.

All I can do now is grant Simon Shorttail dignity and compassion.  He
deserves it; he has been a good, good friend.  Simon has never been a
quitter; he always found a way to get what he wanted.  I fear old friends
are calling and he is listening too intently to care what I have to say.

Bob C and 19 MO Simon watchers (and Simon fighting for tomorrow)