From:
Anna Carolyn Abney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Dec 2002 11:04:16 EST
>That is, unlike a cat or dog that can survive in the wild without human
>support, the home Ferret cannot.

Okay, I know everyone feels their individual species/breed/etc., is
"different" from every other, but dogs and cats are just as poorly
equipped as domestic ferrets to live in the wild.  ALL domestic animals
need us to survive, not just ferrets.  In fact, in my experience, ferrets
are much better equipped than most dogs!

Anyway, I see this sort of thing on my cat and dog lists as well, this
idea that "my insert-species/breed-of-choice-here is much more delicate
than that other insert-other-species/breed-here".  It ain't true.  They
ARE ALL domestic, from horses and cattle to goats and pigs and sheep, to
dogs and cats, to ferrets and rats and mice.  Some individuals, of
course, including ferrets, may be able to live in the wild, but there is
not enough of any species surviving this way to consider any of them as
successful wild species.

Anna and Co.
Greenwood, SC