Date:
Tue, 4 Jul 2000 12:02:33 -0500
Hi all-

I know that many people give their fuzzkids raw veggies and have never had
a problem, but I wanted to relate a potential problem with them.  I used
to work for my vet, who sees a lot of ferrets.  One day we had a very
sweet little girl fuzz in and it became clear very quickly that she had a
complete blockage.  The vet did emergency surgery (I assisted), expecting
to find the usual chunk of rubber or something, but instead it was some
small chunks of carrot that were causing the blockage!  Since ferrets don't
digest vegetables, if the ferret doesn't chew it into tiny bits it passes
through unchanged and can get stuck.  I was pretty surprised at how small
these chunks causing the blockage were- no bigger than about 1/2 cm in
diameter.  So if you MUST feed your ferrets veggies, please be very careful
and chop them up intoo VERY tiny pieces first!

jamie and the veggie-less crew- Fidget, Tiny, Gus, Einstein, Hopper,
Butterbean, and Booboo