From:
Kathy Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Aug 2000 09:04:04 -0400
>From:    Corynne dejong <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: We finally know....Insulinoma
>Today we finally found out Jesse is Insulinomic - we had a test done
>before, but his levels were fine.  I think he must have eaten too soon
>before the test.  Today we got another one & his level was 58...
>Does anybody have any advice for me?

HI--

You can go to ferret central and download the info on insuloma from the
ferret faqs.  You can also do an archive search of the fml on insuloma.

We just took in a boy on Tues who is insulomic.  When we got him he was
skin and bones, wobbled as he walked and fell over.  No energy and no
interest in anything.  It's 5 days later, he appears to have put on a bit
of weight, takes and active interest in walking through the house and
sniffing at everything, climbing into everthing and snuggling up in the
blanket I keep on my chair.  He still doesn't dance, talk or play with
toys.

Avoid sugar, which means no nutrical, kitty vite or ferret vite.

The vet put him on pediapred (prednizone).  About $9

I made a couple of changes to my duck soup recipe (duck was a ferret the
soup was named after)

I'm using Iams canned kitten food, but the Hill's AD is a much better
choice.  You can also grind up his regular kibble.

I usually use vanilla flavored Boost or Ensure.  With Willie, we had to
switch to the sugar free stuff for diabetics.  If you can't find it, ask
the grocery clerk or pharmacists.  6 pk of 8 oz cans is $9.

Adding chicken baby food is another good choice.  It's a good source of
protien, about $.60/jar.

We were told to add 1/8 to 1/4 spoonful of brewers yeast to the food and
give it (the brewers yeast) to hime every 12 hours.

I mix the Iam's, Boost, chix baby food together in a large plastic storage
bowl.  I take out about 1/4 to 1/2 cup and heat it in the microwave on
medium low (defrost) to warm it up.  Willie is eating on his own, so he
will eat from a spoon.  If he weren't I would use a syringe to force feed
him.

Your ferret needs lots of protien and fat right now.

Willie also potentially has cancer, but dealing with it will wait until
he's healthy enough to survive surgery

Remember no one here is a vet, and advice will vary.  Try to verify all
advice and info from a reliable source like ferret central, american
ferret association and/or vet site, recent reference book or Modern
Ferret or Ferrets.

Good luck!.

KG