Date:
Wed, 19 May 1999 11:51:21 EDT
Sukie wrote:
>Why did the one STAR Ferrets survey look different?  It may have just been
>a mathematical glitch with the reporting being uneven enough to throw it
>off, or it may really be that MFs in shelter settings are more prone to
>adrenal disease.  If the latter is true then the question becomes: Since
>we know from multiple home surveys that the MFs in homes do not

I think there may be other reasons the shelters have more adrenal disease
to report, such as, shelter operators recognize adrenal probably more than
the average ferret owner and probably the biggest reason - they get turned
in that way.  I've had a couple 5 yo and one 3 come down with adrenal after
being in the shelter.  The too many to count other cases came to me already
showing signs, many completely hairless.  So I don't think it's anything
that shelters are doing per se, just the luck of running a shelter.  I also
have a feeling more shelters/breeders fill out STAR's form.  Except for the
educated readers here on FML, most ferret owners don't even know about it,
so we aren't getting a good representation of private owners.

As always, Sukie your thoughts are appreciated.

Faith
Ferrets R #1 Shelter & Rescue