From:
Signe Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jul 1999 09:06:29 -0500
I recently bought some dried mixed fruit (banana chips and chunks of
pineapple, apricots and some unidentifiable red stuff...maybe watermelon).
I put the mix in a bowl on the sink counter, and in a few minutes there
were three ferrets up there.  One grabbed a banana chip, one a piece of
pineapple, and one an apricot.  I finally got their prizes away from them,
but it was a struggle...they acted quite upset at being deprived and sent
out great waves of ferret-patented guilt-rays.  I've already cut out
licorice as a treat after encountering pink pee, but am wondering if a
half-chunk of dried fruit would be OK once or twice a week.  I hate to take
away all their little gustatory pleasures, and they don't want any of the
treats that are made expressly for ferrets.  However, these tidbits taste
awfully sweet...since the ferrets don't like real fruit, I suppose it's the
extra sugar or the texture they like in the dried stuff.

An unrelated item: Someone wrote a while back to announce that their ferret
grew a Batman logo on its forehead.  Well, my Grizzy (age 4) recently did
the same thing.  It's as neat a little bat symbol as you could hope to see,
and it makes her look frowny-serious, as though she's having deep concerns
about where her apricot went.

Signe