From:
FerretHill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Apr 1999 07:30:26 -0600
Monday, I made my second batch of the gravy.  I discovered that when I used
the smaller holes for the meat to grind thru (you know the end plate where
the meat are squeezed thru the holes) I have two sizes the bigger 1/4 (or
1/2?) inch holes and the tiny 1/8 inch or something like that.  I used the
larger holes last time thinking that the bones may not be able to get thru.
I used the tiny holes one this time and the end result is mushy meat and
bones.  No particles at all!  I won't have to worry about pieces of food
stuck in the mouth, etc, as the case with Food Stamp.

I did not used the blender for the meat at all but I did use it for the
eggshells in water.  I blended three shells each time for each chicken
batch.

I made this with two chickens this time.  Cooked two batches, I made sure
that the two chicken was kept separate so there is equal amount of
bones/meat/fat/gibble ratio in both batches, put in 5-6 cups of water and
stir it till cooked and yellow fat liquid floating at the top.  I removed
it from the stove and stir in the rest of the stuff, no kibble and I also
omitted the olive oil.  I also used the Furovite instead of Nutrical this
time because I wanted to use both alternately in case one becomes
unavailable.  The whole tube in each batch so it was two tubes.  There is a
lot of liquid after cooking but when I put it in indivdual bags and freeze
it, a lot of it is absorbed into the meat and also becomes hard fat, when I
put it in the microwave, I only zap it long enough to make it warm and
mushy, not too long or it becomes soup.

For future batches, I will omit a cup of water until I got it just what I
want, which is not too soft and liquid but more firm, but for now, I want
to graduate the ferts to the firmer batch each time till they are eating
meaty mush.

A tip: use the shoebox container, sterlite or rubbermaid brands, one is
enough to fit one whole chicken with around 6-7 cups of water just
perfectly, I used the ziplock pint size freezer bags and arranged it along
like a file drawer.  Then you can stack another shoebox for another chicken
on top for space-saving freezer storage.

And there was no mess other than few drops of chicken blood on the table,
I don't understand how it is possible to make such a mess as some of you
experienced.  I just clamp the grinder to the edge of the table, tighten
the screw to hold it in place, then I just dump large pieces (I just cut
the legs off, the wings off, then divide the breast from the back and then
just cut the breast in half) in the opening, grind it and it all goes thru
and into the bowl set under the sprout.  Then I just fill the sink with hot
soapy water and drop the grinder in... wash it and put it back in the box.
Cook it in a large pot and then use a one-cup measuring cup to put two cups
worth in each ziplock bag, rinse off the spilled drops on the bags and then
"file" them in the shoebox.

Anther tip, get those rubber gloves in the pharmacy dept.  Easy to handle
chicken and then peel off the gloves after grinding.

Took me 3 hours to cook two batches, should last me for 1 1/2 to 2 months
for 4 ferts, I hope.  Last batch which is just one chicken lasted almost 3
weeks, but they have just started to eat less of the stuff.  One thing I
did notice is a very noticable reduction in the "output" in the litterbox,
but this happened just recently after their bodies are used to the stuff
and also eating less.

--
Ferrethill and the Fab Four: Soda-Pop, Mocha, Cheswick and Food Stamp

* "Thar ain't no fool like them war-dancing weezels!" *
* IQC number: 35125920                                *