From:
SCN User <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Apr 1999 17:16:11 -0700
Hi Everybody,

I am sorry that people are appalled at Ed's place, but I would hate to see
a crusade started to close him down!  My own little Emmett Kelly, whom some
of you may remember, came from Ed's place.

Sure, it is too bad that the ferrets have cages stacked in the basement
and I have to agree with you that there is WAY too much poop. . .but. . .
please remember that:

       1. The ferrets are healthy--no sneezers, no runny noses or eyes
       2. They have good food--Ed even makes his own supplement to add
       3. They do get handling and are allowed out on a rotating basis
       4. And where else would they be?

Ed will go pick up found ferrets himself.  He may not be the easiest person
to get along with, and I don't personally care for all of his posts, and as
I said, there is too much poop...but the ferrets in this ferret orphanage
at least are healthy and safe, waiting for homes.  If Ed weren't there,
they might be dead.

The "Best Little. . House" cares for ferrets too.  They work hard and they
take care of their little guys; I've never been to Moonsong but I'm sure
they take care of their ferrets too.  I wish all shelters could be more
like homes than orphanages, but the truth is, they are all saving little
lives and I would hate for us to lose any of them.

Animal Control and the Humane Society don't really work for ferrets.  We
need shelters and our shelters all need help.  When you think of how some
pet stores have treated ferrets--the old, crusty, moldy food, the shavings,
the litter boxes even worse than Ed's, the watery eyes, runny noses, and
sad, depressed little faces--you can't help but be angry!

So I understand your concern, I see where you're coming from and I do
sympathize but I don't want to criticize too much and I really don't want
to see a campaign to run Ed out of town.  I'd rather see him get some good
volunteers to scoop those boxes!

Kate, presently owned by Monty and Madison, and totally thrilled because
(sound the trumpets, roll the drums) MONTY is USING the LITTER BOX!  (oh I
am SO proud of my little bear--what a GOOD ferret!)

(of course, he doesn't use it ALL the time. . .but he never did before!)Y