Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 11:34:24 -0400
I'd like to share my method of trimming ferret nails to garner readers
opinions.  If my practice is widely accepted as a good method I would be
happy to write about it and submit it to Mary and Eric for consideration
in an up coming issue, in light ofthe recent quasi controversy.

Anyway when I first got my weasles I was leary of clipping nails.  My
slinky friends were way way too wiggly for scruffing and wouldn't sit still
even with ferretone.  I deduced that the best way to handle my ferrets
was to act like a big dominant ferret to them.  I have posted about this
before, (i.e 6'6" guy war dancing with his weasles).  But How do I gain
their respect and trust for nail trimming?

I found that when I scruffed them with my teeth rather than my hand they
were much more docile, I initially did this as a form of punishment, i.e. I
would give them a short fairly firm chop, I tried to get the same reaction
the get when fighting with the others.  This proved to be pretty effective.
I later experimented with scruffing them in my teeth while trimming their
nails.  WOW.  It made a huge difference.  Not only are they more realaxed,
you the human also have an extra hand to use.  I've found I have much
better control over the clippers and am much more confident during the
trimming process.  This is especially helpful on the hind legs that have
short but very pointy nails.

Overall the process is less stressfull on both the furry friends and on
the human.  The trimming utensils I use are standard people fingernail
trimmers.

Surprisingly enough I don't have any fur in my teeth at the end of a 4
weasle trim session.  Though you might want to be mindful of those rare
occassions when your ferret is going through a change in coat.  Though I
really cannot remember when a furry mouth was a problem.

Another benifit I believe to this proces is my weasles seem to all like to
kiss me more.  I believe this is because they associate my breathe with a
weasle or their mom or something like that.  It's just a theory, but makes
sense to me.

Well like I said I'd like feedback on what the experts have to say.  I
have thick skin so I invite all comments and critisms.  This list is our
oppurtunity to grow as a community and teach each other so in that spirit
please speak up.  We all love our weasles and want the best for them.  BTW
thanks BIG!

thanks,
Brandon
Watermark, Wolfy, Kira, and Princess Tiffy