From:
Judy Moon/ Moonsong Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 06:46:07 -0800
I really did not want to do this post, but I guess somebody has to do it.
Inbreeding is a tool ..it is neither wrong nor right.  Many people who are
breeders condemn it.  However, it is one of the most powerful tools in a
knowledgable and competent breeders hands that can be found.  The best
animals in horses, dogs, cats, and cows are genetically closely bred.

Only those who do not understand how genetics works can condemn this
practice.  It is however, a practice that only those who thoroughly
understand genetics should and can use effectively.

I have done considerable study on genetics and have used inbreeding for a
number of years to make sure my breeding stock carried no "bad" genes.
Nothing can show up in your animals that is not already there unless it is
a mutation.  Mutations are spontaneous and can happen in total out crossed
animals as often as in inbred animals.

We have no "bad" genes in our stock.  I proved this through a series of
carefully worked out inbreedings and close line breedings.  Care to come
see my stock?  They are not naked scrawny nor crazy.

Take two jars of marbles.  One of white and one of black.  Mix them
together.  This is out crossing.  Almost nothing is pure.  Now take the
same two jars and divide them equally in half keeping the colors separate.
Both are pure.  If you keep the colors separate they will remain pure.
Note I did not say good or bad.  Only pure.  The good or bad genes are
already there.  They did not jump in just because the colors were kept
separate.

Now if you take the original description and keep introducing more colored
marbles, say red in the next generation and green in the next.  You keep
introducing genes you know nothing about.  However because they are so
diluted with all the other genes, they often do not express themselves.

This is not to say everyone should inbreed.  If you do not know genetics
or care to learn then please do not inbreed.  It is a tool which is too
powerful to be used by every breeder of animals.  Sort of like handing
everyone a big gun.  Dangerous and powerful.  Learn to use it wisely!

thanks   Judy Moon/Moonsong Ferrets, Rats and Mice