From:
Belen Amat <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 14:16:13 -0600
hello to all:

I am sorry because I am behind on my reading.  Well this week was hectic
for me, the saturday before this week end I gave Mustela her rabies shot.
No problem there no reactions, just a little bit tired and loose poop (if
you can say that).  I talked to the vet and he said it was normal.  Then
on thursday her diarrhea was a bit worse (never serious) ans she was
scratching a lot.  Since this is my first ferret I don't know yet when
something is an emergency or it will just pass.  I couln't get a hold of
the vet until saturday since he was out of town, we gave Mustela some
penicilin and liquids (over the phone prescriptions) and she didn't improve
much, she loved the taste of the medicine but she wasn't improving.  Last
night finally my vet came back and I called him telling him Mustela was
just the same, that I thought it was something else, and that she continued
to scratch, but now it was non stop.  I rushed Mustela to the vet, and it
seems she has some sort of fungus like athlete's foot.  Her defenses were
low, so she got this infection.  From the first day I knew there was
something weird, but the vet didn't take me seriously, I guess there are a
lot of histeric mothers out there, but that is not my fault.  I talked to
him and he agreed on this, and that it wouldn't happen again, Well this is
the story, now my questions are about the treatment, he gave her a special
shampoo (3 times a week) and powder (3 times a week) and spray (3 times a
day) and keep the antibiotic.  Does anyone have experience on this subject,
any reccommendations you can give, Last night she was freezing because I
have to leave the shampoo for 10 minutes and then rinse.  Imagine to keep a
wet, foamy ferret still for ten minutes.  Well she behaved perfectly, but
she was freezing and shaking a lot, I was all the time talking to her like
you would talk to a baby for comfort, but she was suffering.  Then drying
her out was something else.  My questions are if someone has had this
experience I would appreciate the comments, and also any tips so she
doesn't get a cold from the baths.  I thought about making my bathroom like
a sauna, with hot steam, and not let her out of the bathroom until she is
completely dry.  Any ideas.  e-mail me directly.

Belen
Mustela (Mommy, I don't like the spa treatments, I prefer to keep my
wrinkles and cellulite)