From:
Date:
Sun, 28 Feb 1999 00:39:54 -0800
>From:    Sheila Crompton <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: english v american ferrets
>IMO all ferrets should be bred for health and temperament.  Show standards,
>colour breeding can take a back seat.

A properly written show standard has health (and temperament) as its core
value.  The standard should promote what is healthy in ferrets and penalize
what is unhealthy.  Ferrets with genetic problems would be both against the
standard and possibly unhealthy.  Breeding toward the standard would be
better than breeding over sized or undersized ferrets.  Or breeding ferrets
with overly short noses leading to potential breathing problems.

If the American example is followed, temperament would be one of the
aspects of a ferret that carries the highest number of points when judging
pet ferrets.

Shows are not the one truest and best things about ferrets but they are not
leading toward the destruction of the creature.  Promoting the breeding of
healthy and well behaved ferrets is one of the stated goals of all US show
systems.  There is still much to be done to improve ferret shows in the US
but the over all results are positive for ferrets in general.

Shows provide much needed publicity to the plights of ferrets.  Attendees
learn more about proper care of ferrets.  New products are introduced to
ferret owners.

Attendees have access to shelters - yes, ferret shelters tend to be the
biggest 'winners' at shows.  Shelters get noticed.  They can sell as
vendors to earn money for ferret care.  They can reach potential adopters
and many place a goodly number of ferrets.  Shelters are also often the
stated beneficiaries of the admission fees at shows.

Some breeders do take shows far too seriously for what we think is right.
So what?  Most of us are just there to meet and remeet others with a
similar interest.  Many people think that merely being so interested in
ferrets to take part in this forum is taking ferrets far too seriously.

If you don't like the idea of shows, fine.  Don't go.  Those who like the
idea are not inherently evil and about to do great harm to the who species
of ferrets.

We as ferret owners and fanciers should revel in our mutual love for
ferrets rather than pick at those who have somewhat different ideas about
how to appreciate their ferrets.  Shelters and breeders are allies.
Showers of ferrets and shelters are allies.

>From:    "Vicki L. Pagano" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: PETA letter about ferret intubation

If PeTA says it, I doubt its completely accurate... For example ferret
anatomies are very similar to humans in some regards and I believe the
respiratory tract is one of the more similar areas.  Very different in
others.  If they were that dissimilar, then the teaching hospitals wouldn't
use them.  If the machines were better and cheaper than you know darned
well that an accountant involved would immediately remedy a misuse of
funds.  If the ferrets really were in that serious a danger then PeTA
wouldn't be bothering 'regular people' (along with donation requests I'd
bet) and instead go straight to those authorities that would immeiately end
the practices because they were guilty of criminal animal abuse.  But this
is probably enough about PeTA...

-bill
--
bill and diane killian