From:
Martin Feldstein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 00:50:24 GMT
Based on the responses to [log in to unmask] message from 4/6, I would say
the point he made about not being able to speak negatively about Modern
Ferret is well taken.  Look no further for proof of this fact than
"outlawdook's" constructive comment: "I don't know what dark hole you
came out of, but you can crawl back in."  From what I can tell, this person
believes Ferrets magazine is out to make life miserable for its California
readers, and that the magazine goes out of its way to report them.  This is
ludicrous.  I noticed that there was, indeed, a photo in Ferrets USA that
identified the pictured ferret's owner as a California resident.  Does
anyone really believe, as outlawdooks appears to, that anything malicious
was meant by this, and that it was anything other than an oversight?
Outlawdooks appears to have been personally insulted by Ferrets; I would be
curious to know what the magazine did to that person to warrant such venom.
Here are two excerpts from two of the responses "ferts" received, the first
from F. Scott Giarrocco and the second from Mary Shefferman:

1.  ...write a well reasoned, rational letter of complaint to the
publishers that explains your concerns politely and without the use (or
overuse) of all caps.  After all, no one likes to be shouted at by another.
Most messages carry farther and are better received when delivered in a
soft tone.

2.  ...It's important for our readers to direct comments and concerns
*directly to us* (posting stuff on the internet doesn't change anything if
Eric or I don't happen to see it).  That's a real problem for us (and, it's
my understanding, for every other business out there).  But if you don't
tell Eric or me what you like/dislike in Modern Ferret, how will we know?
Believe me, we're perfectly willing to take readers' suggestions on how to
make Modern Ferret a more useful and enjoyable magazine.

I agree wholeheartedly with these statements.  But what I can't help
wondering is have any of you who criticize Ferrets and Ferrets USA
magazines ever sent a letter of complaint to them?  If so, was it, as
suggested above, polite?  Or do you simply prefer to complain about them
in your cliques?  I have found that this is most often the case when it
comes to on-line criticism.

I like ALL THREE ferret magazines.  I find Modern Ferret fun and
informative, the same as I do Ferrets and Ferrets USA.  Maybe the latter
have made some mistakes in the past.  They have not been involved in the
ferret world for very long, and I chalk these errors up to growing pains.
Can anybody report with certainty that ferrets have been affected adversely
because of something these magazines have printed?  Do any of these
supposedly grievous mistakes render all the worthwhile information they
have published (and I think there's been quite a bit) null and void?  Has
Modern Ferret NEVER made a mistake?

I think some people look at the Ferrets/Modern Ferret scenario as a Davy
and Goliath situation, and simply resent a large publisher intruding upon
Modern Ferret's territory.  I'm sure the Shefferman's resent it.  It has
been stated that Ferrets cares only about the mighty dollar, and doesn't
care about ferrets.  This is again, ludicrous.  Face it: these magazines
have contained plenty of useful, sensible information.  And do the
Shefferman's not publish Modern Ferret for the money?  Does financial gain
not influence them at all?  Do they pay their bills with back issues?
Believe me, one of the paramount reasons magazines are published is to
make money for the publishers, even in the case of Modern Ferret.

I agree with F. Scott Giarrocco.  If there's something you don't like
about a magazine, write the magazine a letter.  If the magazine continues
to irritate you, DON'T BUY IT.

[Moderator's note: There have been other comments about both Modern Ferret
and Fancy Publications made in the past too... archives have some more info
if anyone wants to do some digging to help decide how they should feel. BIG]