From:
Jaclyn Dianne Vanderhoef <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Mar 1999 00:46:07 -0500
Good morning,
So, I can't trust my vet.  I lost confidence in her gradually until my last
visit.  She said "He may just be sickly, (blah, blah, blah, lots of other
crap, then,)  Well, it sounds like heart disease.  You could schedule with
the cardiologist."

Heart Disease, my butt!

He had all the classic signs of insulinoma except was not bad enough for
seizures.  I went to a new vet, Dr. Anna Edling in King of Prussia.  She
was great.  Did the fasting blood glucose test and came back with 51.
I'm sorry, I don't know what units to use after the 51.  She prescribed
Prednisone.  We're going to discuss surgery this week.  I'll go ahead with
it, if she thinks he's a good candidate.  So, after 4 days on Pred, I've
got a new ferret.  He is bouncy, happy and doing well.  It is so good to
seem him this way.  If only it wasn't temporary... :(

Trevor was found in a woman's front yard two years ago this month.  My
"bad" vet estimated him at the time to be 3-3.5 yrs.  That would put him
at 5 or 5.5 yrs now.  My poor boy.  I feel so bad.

If anyone has any advice for me, I would really appreciate it.  I have read
all the Medical FAQs, the magazine articles, etc.

One specific question: Why is Brewer's Yeast good?  Do I get the tablets
with garlic that are in the dog aisle at the pet store or is there
something better?  Any other dietary aids?  I have stopped all sweets and
switched from Ferretvite to Ferretone.  Hmm, that wasn't one question,
sorry.

Thanks to all in advance.
Jacki