From:
"Diane L. Hinck" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 1999 10:02:22 -0500
Hi all,
I've only posted once, but read all the time.  I need help!  One of my
fuzzers (Beanie Baby) was just diagnosed?  with cardiomyopathy, and was
started on lasix and cardoxin 2 days ago.  She had a cyst removed and teeth
cleaned over 2 weeks ago, and when her stitches were due to be removed, I
noticed that she was looking bloated.  The next 2 days she was getting
bigger, and her breathing was rapid.  I'm a Paramedic, and used to treating
humans, but not fuzzers, so I rushed her to the vet.  Xrays showed a lot of
fluid on lungs, heartworm test was negative.  Vet was closing, so she gave
her PCN, Dexamethasone, Lasix and Cardoxin, with a prescription for the
last two, and off I rushed to the Emergency Clinic.  Beanie was in the ER
for 2 days, and Lasix was starting to work.  She won't eat- they gave her
some Nutracal, but wouldn't even eat that last night.  She'll only drink
water off your fingertips.  My questions are:

1) Does anyone know of a "good" outcome with this prognosis

2) I need the "duck" soup recipe

3) I asked if this could be a mistake- and maybe a complication of the
anathesia from 2 weeks ago (like pneumonia or something), since she didn't
exhibit any signs/symptoms before "surgery")- but ER Dr thought that fluid
would only be in lungs- and not abdomen also.  Any thoughts or expertise on
this idea?

My Vet is baby-sitting her her now, and will call when she examines her.
I'm wondering about bloodwork, repeat Xray, and possible ultrasound?  What
do I know?  I'm only a people-medic.

If anyone can help- please email me in private, since my "time" is
dedicated to Beanie Baby, and I probably won't have time to read all of
postings until I'm through this!

Thanks to all- and God Bless!
Diane and crew (Sammy, Nipper, Gizmo, and very ill Beanie Baby)