From:
Robb Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 17:41:09 EST
[log in to unmask] said: "The couple of vets I contacted directly
have said things to the effect that they would treat a ferret in an
emergency, but that they can't do general, preventive medicine."

I have had a total of 16 ferrets over the years.  The first time I had a
ferret (9-1/2 years old) that needed to be euthanized my main vet was at
a conference & my standby guy had just retired.  Since I live on the west
side where there are plenty of vets, I thought that there would be no
problem.  I called many vets in Chelsea & the West Village, most of whom
would not see a ferret even to put him to sleep.  I finally found a vet in
the East Village (St Mark's on East 9th Street, between 1st & 2nd) that was
able to help Muggsy onward to the pine forest where my departed fuzzies
are buried.  That was many years ago, but about 4 years ago when I had a
similar situation, my results were pretty much the same, although then I
found a place in Kip's Bay that had a ferret vet on staff part time (Dr
Juris at East Bay on 2nd Avenue).  The main problem I have usually had is
that when a practice has several vets, the (one) ferret doc is booked up
way in advance, so immediate or emergency visits are not available.  I have
used West Chelsea on 10th Ave & 22nd Street, but my current vet is in the
Bronx , has a one-man practice & is very accommodating when I have needed
an appointment quickly.