From:
"Kennel, Leann" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 00:30:17 -0500
I need advice from anyone who may have experienced this.  Bandit has been
sick for a month now.  I am not sure of her age.  I rescued her 3.5 years
ago and she was already full size.  I guesstimate her to be 4-5 years old.
I first took her to my vet on 2/19 because she was having diarrea for
several days.  She weighed 790 grams (normally she weighs 930 gms (8/7/98)
or 814 grams (7/11/97)).  She was diagnosed with an ulcer and was given the
following:

Amoxicillin .30 cc every 12 hours
Metronidizole .30 cc every 12 hours
Carafate .20 cc every 8 hours

The diarrea did not stop so I brought her back into the vet on 2/27.  She
weighed 686 grams.  Still diagnosis was ulcer; continued same meds.

Weekend of 3/13/99 I was beginning to think we are going to lose her.  She
seemed to have that look in her eyes and she felt like nothing but bones.
I stopped the meds because I felt it was stressing her out too much and
because green diarreah became constant.  I don't believe its ECE because
the 2 other ferrets DO NOT have any troubles whatsoever - no green ones
either and they've not been separated since this bout began.  Also Bandit
has had greenies a few times before during stress situations (bringing new
one into home, etc.).  On Monday 3/15/99 I brought her back into the vet.
She weighed 494 grams.  Vet still says Ulcer but lets try new meds.

Zantac .05 ml twice a day
Clavamox .20 ml every 12 hours

Vet also recommended the following special diet to help her gain weight
back.  I am giving her the following.  Eukenuba Nutritional Recovery
Formula Dry form is in food dish in cage and moist form I syringe feed her.
Also Hill's Prescription Diet a/d also to be fed by syringe.  These foods
are higher in fat & Protein than the Totally Ferret brand I normally feed
(and which is still in another food dish in case she wants that too).

I am extremely worried about her because she does not seem to be gaining
any weight.  I took her into work tonight and weigh her on the postage
scale and she weighs 396 grams.  She is continuously LOSING weight.  The
diareah will not stop either.  I did give her 1 ml of Pepto Bismol today
hoping that will stop.  I will contact my vet tomorrow to find out the
exact measure I should be administering of that.  She does have some (very
few) solid poops but mostly its diarreah (green or medium to dark brown).

Has anyone been through something similar to this?  If so, what did you do?
Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.  I don't want to lose Bandit.  I
feel so helpless.

Thank you in advance

Leann