From:
Tryntje Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 12:49:20 -0500
Hello once again.

I am a little behind with my reading of the FML but I couldn't help but
respond to the Bob Church's recipe question.

This is how I do up our fuzzies soup recipe.  We buy chicken legs with the
backs attached (when the price is low) and freeze them.  When we want
chicken for supper (actually, it is do I need chicken soup for the ferrets
that dictate when and how much chicken we eat) we boil 3 pieces until
cooked, in purified or distilled water (don't need comments on how good or
bad these methods of water purification may be - I am just stating what I
do).  I don't put a sauce or anything on it until the meat is off of the
bones.  I keep all of the bones, skin, fat, and scraps in a separate
container, as well as the juice that is left from cooking the chicken.  A
few days later we repeat the process, using the same liquid and a few days
later, we do it again.  Now I take all of the scraps and liquid, add more
water if necessary and boil for about 1 hr.  I have an osterizer and fill
the glass container 2/3 full of bone, scraps and liquid, plus any other
ingredients that I want to include, like softened kibble, linatone, etc.
and start on a very low speed and gradually work my way up to top speed.
When I figure is has blended enough, I pour it through a metal sieve into a
large bowl.  I repeat this process until all is blended.  What is left in
the sieve is very small pieces of bone but I throw that away once I have
squeezed out all of the nice thick soup with a spoon.  I stir it all up and
pour it in small containers and freeze it.  Because we have 9 ferrets and
feed them either once or twice a day (sick ones get lots, twice a day
and maybe more if necessary) we forgo the ice cube trays and use larger
containers.  We go through a lot of chicken but they love it and it is a
good way to hide the medicine.  It is also very thick so I thin it down for
the ones that get it as a treat and keep it thick for the sick ones.  I can
still suck it up in a syringe too.

Well, that's it folks.  That is how I do it and I found that this works
best for me.

Take care.
Tryntje Miller.