From:
lisette lumsden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 20:26:15 -0500
For those of you with yellow or golden ferts in the winter- I was told that
this is a seasonal thing.  My ferts do a shed, and silver mitts and black
eyed white become a golden color.  Coat has changed back each spring.

Chicagoland Family Pet Show at Arlington International Racecourse in
Arlington Heights: March 19-21.  Over 300 exhibits, two Ill ferret shelters
represented well there.  Ferret fun show.  Interactive fun with your pets.
Preregistration required to bring fert.  Call Greater Chicago Ferret
Association in Westchester [1708-442-8650] to check out ferret fun.Starts
Sat.  4 p.m., or stop by booths of FAIR with Mary VanDamn of Westmont.
Lovable pooch, fancy rat, household cat contest, canine good citizen test,
demos, parades, many shelters.  Adults $7.oo.  Fri.-noon to 6 pm,
Sat. 9-6 p.m., Sun. 10am-6 pm.So many companion animals clearly loved.
Gigantic place.  Learn about ferrets, dogs, reptiles, birds.Wonderfull
show.

Biting: Last two ferts I own are MF.  They are so docile, I cant believe
it.  Petco was selling ferts from Canada, workers tell me, that were fierce
blood pain scary ferts.  Nothing changed this behavior.  So ferts no longer
bought there.  My others are all nippers or biters..Article from Mary Van
Damn of FAIR says never hit or flip on nose.  Broken nasal bones may
result.  Negative reinforcement followed by a little loving up works best.
"When a kit bites, grab it immediately by scruff, put its face in front of
yours and shoutNO!  Give it a LITTLE shake[like mom does]Ive had some luck
with growling as well.Maintain scruff hold 15 seconds, alternate yell,
LIGHT shakes and growls, then hold ferret for a minute and love it up, put
it down and engage in play you approve of.This immediate and consistent
response makes a big difference."For critters that really lock down, keep
Listerine or vinegar near in play.  If bit-shove finger in bottle, then put
in animals mouth for a few seconds.  Criiter is very eager to get rid of
finger.  Then scruff, yell.  shake, and growl for a few seconds, love it
up, and play in game with no w restling or biting.

Works pretty well.  Biter from shelter gave bloody pain bites almost every
day.  Been a year and two months.  Bites down to once a month now.  I have
worn more band aids in last year than whole life.Took Wolf about a year
also.  No more bites now.

Hope it works.  Big reason for dumping fert is biting problem.