From:
"Karen Purcell, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Feb 1999 23:35:51 +0000
Hi folks,
Just had to comment on the following, from the veterinary point of view.

>My vet is sending the sample to University of Tennessee for "the test."
>The charge here in CaCa land is $130 including the U of T charges.  I
>understand that U of T charges are about $80.  CaCa land strikes again.

Whew, $130!!!  I understand that the Univ. of Tenn.  charges $75, unless
they went up recently on the price.

Actually, the test does cost YOUR vet $80.  Then, tack on the costs of
syringes, needles, preparation of the sample, postage, the vet's time in
blood drawing, filling out the paperwork, calling you with the results,
etc.  Hence the cost to you, the client, is anywhere from $130-150, from
my experience.  We can't afford to do this stuff at cost, people, we have
bills to pay and families to feed.

Just my 0.02, before another bout of vet bashing got started.

-Dr. Karen
currently practicing in Cumberland, RI