From:
"Karen Purcell, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 22:27:14 +0000
Folks,

I notices a request for some happy ferret stories, just before an
unfortunate list of furkids crossing the Bridge (my sympathy to all of
your human type folk and fuzzy friends left behind).  Here is my happy
ferret story to add some cheer to our list.

On December 7, 1995, Governor Weld here in Massachusetts signed the bill
that would legalize ferrets as of March 7, 1996.  As a good legal ferret
owner, I happily made plans to get my furbabyFreya back from her babysitter
in NY.  I realized that Freya would be lonely in her new home, so I called
Holly Cyr at FARI, and let her know that I was looking for a single female
ferret for my Freya to have as a buddy.  Holly is a very smart ferret mom -
she let me know that she was so sorry not to have any single ferrets for
adoption, but gee, would I mind looking at a bonded pair!  You guessed it -
must have been ferret math in the air.  The first weekend after ferrets
were legal in Massachusetts, Holly and I were manning side by side tables
for FARI and MAFF, respectively, at the Rhode Island Pet Expo.  She brought
out the most petite sprite I have ever met - 3/4 lb of silver feistiness
named Nosy.  She was 5.5 yrs old, and Holly wanted her to go to a special
home due to her age.  Her buddy was a 3.5 lb medium silver named Conan (my
favorite fuzzy and classroom companion).  That Holly was so good, I was
filling out the adoption papers in between educating folks, and I took
those furkids with me on the spot (as a veterinarian, I tend to carry spare
carriers, etc in my car).  Freya had been a bit mopy since I had brought
her to Massachusetts, but she perked right up with the new kids in the
house.  Of course, Nosy kicked her out of her own cage for weeks!!!  Within
days, though, they would curl together on the futon, or chase the dogs
around the house (the dogs don't mind this, by the way).  Nosy may have
been old, but she added alot of joy, and introduced me to the pleasure of
mellow boy ferrets as well (I'd only had sprites before this).

Hope this cheers someones day (just writing it feels good!)

-Dr. Karen
currently practicing in Cumberland, RI