Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 13:34:37 EST
>I am a new ferret slave (by about 5 days now).  I would like to know if
>anyone else has had problems with the ferret canine teeth.  My baby boy,
>Dom., has one canine that is protruding outwards from his mouth. ...

Hi Sharon

I have had two ferrets with a lower canine that just wasnt in line with the
rest of the teeth - Bandit, who had a broken lower canine, and Balloo, who
came into the shelter with a dead upper canine and malaligned lower.  In
Bandit's case - the tooth was not bothering the lip, and she had a small
indention in her lip.  In Balloo's case, once the upper canine was removed,
the lower began to tear his lip and irritate his gums.

We took Balloo back to the vet (poor guy) and the vet used a dremel to wear
down the lower tooth - it was healthy and we wanted to avoid extracting a
second tooth, if we could help it.  The vet wore down about 1/3 of the
length of the tooth and he was fine ever since.  His gum and lip healed
fine and he began to eat like a horse.

I would definitely have your vet look it over and see what options may be
available.

Lisa, Head Ferret
The Ferret Haven "By-the-Sea"
Want to help The Ferret Haven By-the-Sea? Register at iGive.com
by cutting and pasting this link:
http://www.iGive.com/html/ssi.cfm?CID=1236&MID=854