From:
Kim VanderLaan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 22:57:46 EST
Hi,

I have a question.  I weigh my ferrets about once a week.  My male has been
losing weight.  He has gone from 1374 grams (11/4) to 1276 grams (1/4).
Now, in that time we did add 2 young girls to the group (12/5) and then
another female on 12/19.  Our male is the dominant ferret of the business
and has been pressing the issue a lot lately (not that anyone seems to want
the job except him).

Is this a weight loss that I should be concerned about?  This is winter,
and as he joined the family this past May, I don't know how his weight
should be in the winter.  He is about 13 or 14 months old.  He had a cold
in early November and completely recovered, including regaining the weight
he lost.

I know we added 3 ferrets in a short time.  I am hoping this weight loss is
just due to stress (doesn't show any other way), or the babies being more
active (3 youngsters who are now about 4 1/2 months old), or trying to make
sure no one tries to take over the harem.

Please let me know if I need to be concerned or if this is just a normal
thing.

Kim and the Super Six

PS:  They all have a vet appointment on the 14th for physicals and rabies
shots.  I'll be mentioning the weight loss at that time too.