Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 1998 05:03:53 -0500
>Last week, Bandit (our 1 yr old) un-ferret proofed our patio room, learning
>he could jump from the hot tub steps to the barricade which kept him out
>of an off limits area.  After observing him do this 3 times, the step was
>moved back.  He then tried to jump to the barricade, and fell short.  He
>dooked loudly, and went to the other side of the hot tub where my wife was
>standing, jumped up and bit her on the side of the knee.  A first bite for
>him.  He then went to his cage and got in his hammock.
>
>The next day, about 20 minutes into his play time, he attempted to jump
>again, falling short.  He dooked, went to Bullet our other ferret and
>dooked (screamed), fought a little and went to his cage.  Normally
>neither ferret goes to the cage to stay unless they have been playing for
>close to 2 hours.

From what I gather from your post, it sounds like Bandit may have hurt
himself in the fall.  It has been my experience that ferrets who display
such behavior are lashing out from pain, especially if he hasn't been a
biter before.

The fact that he isn't playing like normal further suggests to me that he
may still be in pain.  It could be a sprain or broken limb or maybe
internal injury.

I really hope that I am over exaggerating here.  It's just that this is
what first came to my mind when I read your post.  I had a ferret that was
injured and we didn't find out until about 1 year later when we were
x-raying for something else.  She now has a spleen that has been "folded
over" on itself.  The "folded" spleen grew back that way.  I think she may
have been shut in a door or something.  She displayed some of the same
behavior as your Bandit.

But then again, Bandit may just be bored.

All my best to you and your little buddies,
Britta