Date:
Tue, 1 Dec 1998 09:34:11 -0600
>...I have some very serious personal reservations about using plastic, not
>least of which is that there has been a sad cadre of ferrets mentioned here
>over the years which asphyxiated due to sleeping in plastic containers, a
>danger which could be aggravated by multiple ferrets sleeping together like
>they enjoy, so you would have to have ways to offset that hazard.

I totally understand the reservations about using any material when bad
things have happened that involve that type of material.  The most
difficult thing about the whole project has been trying to find a middle
ground for material and design that would appeal to most ferrets as well as
their owners.  The issues of concern have included some of the following
during the design development:

1. Ability to properly clean the material.
2. Ability to maintain darkness.
3. Maintaining adequate air flow
4. Large enough in design for comfort as well as being small enough for
   most cages.
*  and several other reasons along the way.

>How do you plan to address light getting in?  Many plastics aren't opaque.
>What do you plan to use for a black-out cover and curtain, and what is the
>spacing of breathing holes like?  I know it's possible to have safe plastic
>containers since we've had several who like sleeping in the hamster balls
>with the VERY many slits for air, but one would have address that ESSENTIAL
>need and the light exclusion to fit the bill.

For the current design, I have included an opening an inch wide that wraps
around the top of the 2 sides and back of the enclosure to assist with the
air-flow concern and lower the possibility of becoming blocked by the fuzzy
rearranging their room.  The front opening is fairly wide and should have
no need to be covered due to the overall side of the enclosure.  I will,
however, continue to cautiously explore the idea of adding some type of
safe material as covering for the openings.

We have tried several thing with out pets including cardboard boxes,
sleeping sacks, and other plastic type enclosures and usually drape part of
an old shirt over the top.  The little buggers seem to like this approach,
but I too share the asphyxiation concern.  At this point I think it is best
to sacrafice some of the "total darkness" theory and maintain adequate
air-flow.  We currently get around this by keeping our cages in an area of
the home that is not as bright and constantly keep a towel or other dark
cloth material over the top of the cage.  I stole this idea from my
personal experience of being a mid-night shift worker for several years and
the need to keep the light out as much as possible so I can get some good
rest.

I am open to any ideas and concerns and look forward to any and all
comments on the project.  Take care..  ;-)

 Brian
"Mindy" - Rah Rah and  "Cinny" - Cuddlebutt