From:
"Hudson, Jennifer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 11:02:14 -0500
I don't live in Minnesota and have no info on the shelter in question, but
here is my opinion on this matter.

I currently have 6 shelter adoptees in my home and only 30 minutes ago
received a call asking me to foster 3 more.  Okay, maybe this shelter
really asks alot of questions to prospective adoptees.  Well, ANON, can you
blame her!!??  These ferrets are in her care because some other pet owner
just had to have one of these cute furry little creatures, but decided,
nah, not working out.  So they end up on her doorstep!  I volunteer at a
cat shelter and yes we literally grill our prospective homes.  These
animals have been through enough bouncing around and possibly neglect, why
would anyone who devotes their time to helping ferrets place one single
fuzz in a questionable home?  My most recent adoption happened last
Wednesday, the poor little thing had grinded her teeth down, is about 30%
underweight and was clueless what to do when she was put on the floor to
romp!  If you are so upset over her questions, maybe you should take a step
back and wonder why.  What questions could you not answer or did you not
want to answer!?

When I approached a shelter about adopting, I was prepared and expected to
be asked about:
1) my home (even complied with request for home inspection);
2) if I could financially provide for medical costs associated with a
   senior ferret;
3) pet ownership history;
4) vet reference;
5) personal references and
6) various ferret quiz questions.
In addition, I expected (and recommend to shelters) to have an 'interview'
with EVERYONE living in the prospective home.  All family members should
visit the shelter, spend time with the ferret(s) and then go home and
discuss the decision.  Adopting a ferret should be pretty comparable to
adopting a baby!  We need to make a financial and emotional commitment to
these little guys.

To the shelter in Minnesota, keep up the good work, place your charges
in only the homes you trust will provide a nurturing environment.   If
anyone blasts you for your guidelines, well....... don't think I should
use those kind of explictives here!

I've adopted through shelters and I admire their efforts to insure the
ferret ends up in a permanent loving home.

Happiest holidays!

Jen and the Growing Gang (7 of mine, 3 fosters)!