From:
Ilena Ayala <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 1998 08:07:28 -0500
>My question is; Will Maxatrax roach (manufactured by, Hot Shot.  Active
>Ingredients; Chlorpyrifos{ 0,0-diethyl 0-(3,5,6-trichloro-2-pyridyl)
>phosphorothioate} 0.50% Inert Ingredients; 99.50% ) bait stuck to the
>plywood under tha cage for >which the ferrets have no access to, hurt my
>fuzzies?

Chloropyrifos is an organophosphate belonging to the group called
hetrocyclic derivitives.  Other organophosphates or carbamates in the
environment-as could be found in various ant,roach or flea killers,
wormers, fly spray, etc.- would increase the danger of the ferrets being
exposed to a toxic dose (the effect is additive when several are present).
You said you don't like to use chemicals, so that shouldn't be an issue for
you.  (I noted it in case others might need the info.)  I'm not sure how
much is too much or what the risks are from a ferret eating, say, a single
bait laden roach.

Chemical names of carbamates to look for on containers: carbaryl, methomyl,
propoxur Chemical names of organophosphates to look for:dichlorvos,
trichlorfon, cythioate, fenthion, tetrachlorvinphos, chlorpyrifos,
coumaphos, diazinon, phosmet

(I hope I've got all those spelled correctly.)

Georgis' Parisitology for Veterinarians (Sixth edition, copyright 1995)
describes toxicity as: (plain english translation follows):
"The accumulation of acetylcholine produces signs of acute poisoning,
which are principally the result of acetycholine's muscarinic effects on
autonomic effector organs (miosis, lacrimation, salivation, vomiting,
diarrhea, frequent urination, dyspnea, bradycardia, and hypotension), and
its nicotinic effects at the neuromuscular junction (rapid involuntary
muscle twitching and scattered fascilulations followed by severe weakness
and paralysis) (Gilman et.  al, 1990).  Death is usually due to respiratory
failure."

In plain english:
If your ferrets exhibit some/all of the following symptoms, they may be
suffering from poisoning:
contracted pupils (you probably wouldn't notice that), excessive tearing,
drooling +/or foaming at the mouth, throwing up, having diarrhea or peeing
too frequently, difficulty breathing (I'm not sure how that would present
itself, maybe as panting or struggling to breath??  I think you'd know when
you saw it.), slowing down of the heart, high blood pressure (you probably
wouldn't notice those last two at home), muscle twitching followed by
general weakness and paralysis.

If you suspect your ferret may have organophosphate/'carbamate poisoning,
get them to a vet IMMEDIATELY, it is a medical emergancy.  If vet help is
not available nearby (ie, you'll have to drive a bit to get there), take a
few minutes and call the National Animal Poison Control Center at (900)
680-0000 (bills $20 for first five minutes $2.95 each additional to your
phone bill), or 800-548-2423 for a $30 flat rate (have a credit card handy).

If you're really feeling concerned, call the hotline now, *before* there is
a problem and talk to them.  There's no rule that says you have to already
have a sick animal to call them.

The Georgi's text notes that activated charcoal may be used to slow down
the absorption in case of poisoning, so insecticide users may want to make
sure you have some on hand, but DO NOT administer that or any other
treatment until you check with the hotline or a local vet!!  Treatment
recommendations sometimes change.  Note too, that whatever the hotline
tells you to do at home is NOT a substitute for prompt veterinary care (as
in if it happens at 11pm leave now and drive to the vet clinic, do not wait
until morning).

In a poisoning emergency, you might want to head for the *nearest*
available vet, rather than (if it's a considerable distance), going to the
nearest *ferret friendly* vet.  (If you do, call ahead to let them know you
are coming, and why.)

If you use insecticides in your home, consider printing this out and
putting it with your other first aid information.

-Ilena Ayala