From:
Edward Lipinski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 23:25:48 -0800
It's been a good day today.  Little sable "Ryan" was turned over to her
legal owners today and made a little girl so very happy to get her
"kissing" ferret back in her arms.  Her Mom had tears in her eyes at this
joyful renunion here in the Ferrets NorthWest FNW reception room.

"Ryan" was picked up by me on August 17, 1998 from the occupant of a XXXX
house at 6XXX South Ryan Street in Seattle in the early afternoon.  The
occupant, a considerate middle-aged man, called me to please come and pick
up this very friendly little ferret that had wondered into his back yard
and into his house through a partially opened sliding glass patio door.
His dogs alerted him to the ferret's presence by their barking and their
unusual and menacing behavior.

Unknown to us at the time was the fact that the ferret had ventured outside
(the owner's home) and frequently returned thru the doggie-door as she had
seen the family dogs do so many times before.  She was friendly with the
family dogs and up to this episode had never (?) met any other dogs.
Apparently these new dogs were not as friendly as the dogs at home and
this relationship worried the man of the house (he had thought to keep the
little girl) to the extent that he called Ferrets NorthWest FNW to report a
"found" ferret.

After picking up the ferret I gave the gentleman with the two dogs my FNW
card and as usual asked him to give out the new location of the ferret to
whomever he might notice was in search of her.  My usual caution note to
him was not to divulge to anybody the specifics of this foundling ferret,
but only that he found "it" (was not to give even the sex of the ferret
nor any of the identifying characteristics.)

The legal owners of ferret "Ryan" had posted some 15 to 20 "Lost Ferret"
posters on telephone poles and walls throughout the neighborhood only to be
arrested and charged with $20 fine per poster (total fine in xs of $300.00)
for defacing Puget Sound Power poles with their posters.  The owners
redoubled their efforts at posting with local vets, with stores of all
kinds and even at the local tavern.

Apparently, the finder of "Ryan" finally spotted one of the posters, (maybe
he's a beer drinker?) got in touch with the owners and told them the ferret
was being held at Ferrets NorthWest FNWon Mercer Island (Washington State
near Seattle).  So last week they called and pretty well ID'd the ferret
over the phone and arranged an appointment for today to visit the FNW
shelter ferretarium (housing 38 ferrets currently).

As it turned out "Ryan" was in fact "Missy," all 1 pound 9 ounces of her.
Missy went back home tonight to a very happy home and Ferrets NorthWest FNW
is the recipient of a $100 donation from the relieved and delighted owners.

This is the experience that brings joy to the hearts of all concerned and
makes up for the many long and tedious hours of cage cleanings and
maintenance in this 1-man shelter.  It also eases, a little bit, the pain
and anguish felt for the not too well chosen words of the erudite one who
has hurt the feelings and eroded the respect of so many of the shelter
operators with his derogatory and, and I believe, misdirected criticisms.

I'm reminded of the philosophical poster on the wall in the
FerretsNorthWest FNW reception room that reads,
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Edward Lipinski of Ferrets (and soon to be!) Skunks NorthWest F & S NW.
(See Note)

Also residing with a hissing and sputtering, steely grey ranch mink known
as Miss Minkie and a beautiful black/white (integrated) magpie that says,
"Come on in" "Come over here." "Here kitty." and gives out with the
characteristic wolf whistle any time a pretty personage graces our
reception room.  Her name: Miss Maggie.  (Or it's maybe Mr. Maggie?)

Note
Taking your haltered and leashed ferret for a walk undoubtably attracts the
curious, but guess what happens when also you take your skunk for a walk at
the same time!  It's kinda like ... push - pull; not the critters but the
people.

Tomorrow: Copy of FNW's RECLAMATION OF LOST & RECOVERED ANIMAL BY LAWFUL
OWNER, a must form for every shelter that returns a foundling ferret (or
skunk) to its legal owner.  It's a CYA document.