From:
Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 09:53:13 EST
As a shelter operator, I am deeply offended by Judy Moons comments that
ferrets who need expensive surgeries should be put to sleep by shelter
operators.

You really think Meg, who required surgery to pin her broken leg together
should have been put down?  She has healed nicely, now goes to shows and
places in Championship Rings, and is extremely happy and healthy with her
new owner.

How about Scooter, who has had two surgeries to remove a cancerous growth?
Last time the vet was more aggressive with the tissure surrounding the
area, and the cancer appears to be gone.  The six year old has the energy,
muscle tone and coat of a three year old now.

We have paid for surgeries for many, many other ferrets.  Who are we to
play God and decide who lives and who dies?  All ferrets deserve the best
possible care.  We do not put down ANY ferret unless their condition is
terminal or chronic and they are suffering.

If you are that worried about shelter ferrets, then either start donating
your time and/or money to shelters, or start running one yourself.  I will
scrimp on my own personal needs before I will deny a ferret medical care.
Shelters can and should work out a deal with their vets.  We don't have a
shelter savings account.  Our vet will let us run a tab, which we pay off
as best as we can.  Sometimes it is zero, other times in the thousands.

Until you walk a mile in our shoes, don't criticize us.

-Anne (A shelter operator)