Date:
Tue, 8 Dec 1998 14:44:56 +1300
Okay, given that I'm not clear-headed still, I've decided that there's
probably no worse time I can get in on this debate... but...

I have many friends who are shelter owners, and admire them.  They've put
themselves in for a lot of heartache and pain.  The shelters I've seen are
run from home, with funds gained by extra jobs.  Feeding and caring for any
numbers of animals takes money.  Because of all the work, effort, love,
sweat, tears, pain, energy, money and more that the shelters put into the
ferrets - those who run the shelters can sometimes get protective.  They're
often proud they've managed to help as much as they have, as they have a
right to be.  They also often feel guilty.  Why?  Well, shelters tend to
be run by people who care, and people who care tend to feel guilty when
something goes wrong.  Could they have done something better?  Did they do
something wrong which caused a problem?  It often isn't their fault, but
they feel it is anyway.  It's human nature, and a sign of a good shelter
owner/operator.

I feel this is why people read Bob Church's original post and took offense.
Because they love the ferrets so much they feel any criticism of shelters
pertains to them.  I'm writing now to give you *my* interpretation of that
post.

First, Bob's definition of a shelter... well, a shelter is just that.
Shelter.  Somewhere that a ferret lives/stays until such a time as they
can find a new home.  Whether that's a foster home or permanent depends on
the ferret.

What makes a ferret unadoptable?  Age?  At what age is the cut off point?
Five?  Six?  Two??  Health?  If someone who owns ferrets is looking for a
ferret, and they're aware of the health problems and still willing to
adopt, then that's not it either.  Biters do take time, whether they go to
a foster home, spend some time being trained, or go to a ferret
knowledgable home... they're still adoptable.

Most people's problems with Bob's post came from his collector comment.
No-one wants to be considered a 'collector'.  What makes a collector?
Numbers of ferrets?  Who decides what number of ferrets makes a collector?
Is it five?  Is it ten?  Twenty?  Two hundred?  Maybe I'm just being obtuse
here, but as long as the ferrets are cared for, I can't see why people get
upset about being labelled someone "prone to ferret math" (politically
correct for collector??) Heavens, I currently have 13 ferrets.  Am I a
collector?  If so, then Bob is also one, since he has twenty.  I must admit
though, he has twenty of the most gorgeous animals I've seen (maybe I'm
biased because my Tui is there)  He cares for his animals, worries over
them, his heart is torn when one is sick or dies.  If this is a collector
is this bad?  (Sorry Bob, you started it, therefore you got picked on here)

Next... well, I'll admit, most shelters tend to be more stressful on a
ferret than a home environment.  The main reason, in my opinion... they
have ferrets coming in and leaving, higher death rates since many ferrets
brought in are already on deaths door and despite all efforts some will
die.  A home environment is less likely to have that turnover.  They'll get
their run times, their food, water, play times, and they'll have all the
time in the world that the shelter owner can give them, but remember that
in order to make enough money to run the shelter most operators need to be
away more than normal so they can afford to pay the bills the numbers of
ferrets produce.  New animals being brought in means a risk of disease or
similar problems.  Even with quarantine it isn't always 100% sure the
others won't get something.  Precautions can be, and are, made.  However,
it doesn't always mean that the others won't get something.  Particularly
where something unusual comes along and the causes of it are unknown.  It
isn't the same as a home, which is generally a more stable environment.
That more stable environment can be a new owner or a foster home.

Essentially, what *I* read from Bob's post is this:

Shelters are places designed to find homes for needy ferrets, they are not
designed for long term housing of individuals.  He advocates finding new
homes for them speedily, in order to attempt to reduce the stress the
ferrets go through.  Even in the most perfect of shelters, a ferret will go
through stress, particularly if they came from a one or two ferret home to
begin with.  He also advocates teaching prospective ferret owners what they
can do to make them the 'perfect home' for a ferret.

A majority of prospective ferret owners will go to a pet store for a
ferret.  Those who care enough to go to a shelter (which many don't even
know exist in the first place) need to be given a chance.  If they know
that they have to have a cage a certain size, they're informed the ferret
will require vaccinations... told how to best care for their animal (etc)
and are still there for the end of it, then you have someone who is, more
than likely, willing to stick it out with the little ones.  Not everyone is
born knowing what's best for ferrets.  Some people think they eat rabbit
pellets and carrots!  Don't dismiss them offhand for ignorance, educate
them so that the ferret has a good home.

The overall meaning of Bob's post?  Find homes for the shelter ferrets,
even if it means doing a little more work with the prospective owners.
Every ferret has the right to it's own home.

Sam