From:
Betty and Jim <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Dec 1998 19:26:35 -0600
Well gang, after great contemplation and a listen to our hearts, we have
two beautiful little additions to our growing family.  Brought home to
give our little Bear some much needed ferret companionship, the two little
youngsters (still unnamed) are showing great enthusiasm and are as
mischievous as we expected.

My husband and I wanted to adopt from the local shelter as we always have
done before, but unfortunately we weren't getting any calls because of our
conditional adoption agreement - we would take only those that were
considered unadoptable for whatever the reason.  (I have since called the
SPCA and have changed it to include ANY ferrets.) It feels like the time is
now and both of us are ready to share our hearts once again.  So, we ended
up purchasing two little 12 week old sable females.  I personally think
that they are not sable only.  Although they are sisters, one has a white
head with a large grey blaze on the forehead with a smaller white blaze in
the center of the grey.  Her sister is much greyer in the head, although
it's light enough to distinguish it from the grey, with a small white blaze
on her forehead.  Both have black banding around the shoulders with black
legs and white feet, as well as a dark patch of hair that seems to join the
front shoulders with the back end.  Both tails are black.  This may be a
panda or a mix... anyone have any ideas on what they could really be?

Well, interestingly enough the "breeder" was "Real Canadian Ferrets".  The
adoption included a spay/neuter and descent guarantee, a free visit to the
vet, and a signed international health certificate stating the ferrets were
in good health at the time of their spaying.  For the most part, it seems
like everything is in order and from the look and boucyness of the two
girls, they are visibly healthy.  No water eyes, good strong bites on the
fingers that didn't hurt or draw blood, and good strong legs.  Ears are
clean.  Their teeth look good and their feet are in good shape.  They feel
and smell right.

My question: does anyone know of the vets from Morden Veterinary Clinic in
Morden, Manitoba, Canada?  The vets listed on the certificate are: Mylia
Richards DVM, Mariko Boorberg DVM, Jacquline Enns DVM, David Hamilton DVM,
Josh Poppe DVM, and Rick Wiens DVM.

So, now the fun stuff starts.  After looking at and reviewing the diet
list from Bob C. as well as talking into consideration his ferret biology
lessons, the best thing that I can do now is give these two girls a good
start in life by feeding them more "natural" meats and cutting way back on
the dry food.  After seeing the damage that years of dry kibble did on my
other ferrets teeth, the change is not only worthwhile but absolutely
necessary.  It's time to put into action all the things that I have learned
in the last little while from this list.

Names: I saw the movie Mulan, and loved the name, Mushu.  Can anyone tell
me if this name means little dragon?  The one little girl is indeed a fiery
little dragon.  If anyone could tell me a name that means that in either
Chinese, Japanese or Russian, it would be greatly appreciated.  The other
little girl loves to scratch on the pillows and loves to sneak attack.  She
seems to scare easily.  I would like to have names that are similar in
origin (Chinese, Japanese or Russian) but not necessarily similar in sound.
You may e-mail privately if you prefer.

My sympathies on all the fuzzies that have gone on to a higher realm and
support hugs to those of you giving care to your sick little ones.  Hugs
and wet ferret lickies to the rest!

That's all for now!

Betty and her Blur O'Fur