From:
"Michael F. Janke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Dec 1998 07:22:48 -0500
>From all the mail I got, the standard treatment seems to be Albon (and
>heard mention of one other one).  The problem is neither of these is what
>Rox is taking.  Our vet, Dr, Dan Johnson of Avian and Exotics has her on
>(As close as I can come to reading doctor handwriting) SULFADOMETHOXONE

According to "Ferrets, Rabbits and Rodents -- Clinical Medicine and Surgery"
in regards to treatment for coccidia in ferrets...

"...Coccidiostats such as sulfadimethoxine and amprolium are effective and
safe."

Sounds like you have the right treatment.  I've never had the need to treat
any of mine for coccidia, so I'm not familiar wilth Albon.  I've heard it
mentioned a zillion times and it seems to be the most common treatment for
coccidia.   But it sounds more like a brand name to me and you may in fact
be giving Rox the same thing as Albon.  Just a guess.

For the ferrets,
Mike

* Michael F. Janke, [log in to unmask]
* Secretary, South Florida Ferret Club & Rescue
* A 501(c)3 not-for-profit corporation
*
* Visit our shelter's web site:  http://www.miamiferret.org
* Visit the Adrenal/Insulinoma web site: http://www.miamiferret.org/FHC