From:
Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Nov 1998 10:49:27 EST
Hi everyone!

This is the proposed plan for Sunday's NYC Ferret GTG- of course we will
just kind of play it by ear, but Ela and I spoke and we seem to think that
this might give Jean a good "whirlwind tour" of some of the Big Apple...

We will start by meeting at 10:00 am in the lobby of Jean's Hotel, which
unless she corrects this, is the Helmsley Middletowne at 148 East 48 Street
Between 3rd and Lex.  We'll take the subway to the Staten Island Ferry, and
ride round trip.  This will give a great view of the Statue of Liberty.  On
return to Manhattan we will head back uptown to the Chinatown/Little Italy
area via Subway, where we will find an inviting Italian restaurant for
lunch.  (If anyone has any ideas, let's hear them- keep in mind we are
trying to keep it around or under $20 pp including tax and tip.)

After lunch we will walk to Washington Square Park/Greenwich Village and
meander around that area for awhile.  From there we will head up to Central
Park via subway, where we can wander around for a while before making our
way down 5th Ave (window shopping!) past St.  Patrick's to the Empire State
Building.  Hopefully it will be about twilight by this time, and we will go
up to the top to watch the sun set and NYC light up!

From this point there are no plans, however this is a convenient stopping
point to get back to the transportation hubs.

Let me know if I have missed anything you think I should have included
(obviously we can't do everything- I am just trying for a sampling of a few
major points of interest that don't take hours to tour).  I am also trying
to work within a budget and keep the day affordable for everyone!  I figure
if we do as this plan tentatively suggests, the total cost will be about
$40 including subway fares, lunch, and the Empire State Building.

Remember, NYC is downright COLD and windy this time of year.  Much of our
day will be spent outdoors, so wear warm clothes, and don't forget mittens
and a hat!

-Anne