From:
"Cox, Sherry" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 16:04:19 -0500
Ok, I had to offer my 2 [cents] here, sorry if I offend any one in advance,
although my intent is only to point out a few differing opinions to Mr.
Lipinski.

First off, let's just get this little piece of necessary evil out of the
way:

>From:    Edward Lipinski <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Blood on our hands
>Please, please good people, don't attack the messenger, Mr. Jack Hanna,
>for his message and opinion that is based on factual circumstances.
>Instead of us looking like a band of moronic idiots villifying an honest
>and worthy man, instead dedicate our energy of vitriol in pursuit of the
>answer:

I think it's been demonstrated, observed, and pointed out here plenty of
times already that this label does not belong to Jack Hanna.  I live in
the county that he tried to keep ferrets illegal in (unsuccessfully, thank
goodness) and I've also had reason to believe he's more of a showman than
an expert on anything...kinda like a used car sales man.  Even the incident
he cited on the show was wrong.  There have been no recorded incidents of
this kind here in Columbus.  If he's referring to the incident in
Cleveland, the parents were incoherently drunk, and even the police had
trouble believing that the ferret was involved, because it was in a
securely latched cage, with no signs of blood on it.  The serious thing I'd
like to address is Ed's hearty wish that we would "come to this admission
of defectiveness" that ferrets are "KNOWN & DOCUMENTED & PROVEN" to attack
infants.

>Otherwise, somewhere, someplace and soon there will be blood spilled
>again and it will be on our hands.

Ok, I will admit that I believe that the potential for injury exists with
any animal, especially in the case of infants.  This includes cats, dogs,
rats, snakes, birds, and yes, even ferrets.  Because animals are of a
nature different than ours, we can't predict even which ones will and why.
But I don't believe that having infants and companion animals in the same
house is the problem.  I believe the lack of respect for this issue by the
parents is the problem.  We have one cat, and 3 ferrets, and if God ever
decides to bless us with a human child, I will not even consider getting
rid of my pets, because they are also children of my heart.  But, will I
consider giving these pets access to my infant without my supervision??  NO
WAY.  That would be stupid.  I wouldn't even consider leaving a toddler
alone with my baby.  I agree with Jerry King's post that sited all the
things that could potentially be dangerous for a child.  Honestly, I
wouldn't leave my ferrets alone with my infant also for the reason that the
child can damage the pet, just as easily.

What I don't agree with is that we need to qualify every thing we say about
ferrets as a pet by these few incidents.  People don't say, "I have a dog,
and he's great, but he has the potential to maul infants".  I think it's up
to a person who's going to have infants and children in the same house with
animals to identify through thought and research and advise the best ways
to separate and supervise the household.  Just like child-proofing.

So, the next time I read of an infant being injured by a ferret, first I'll
check the authenticity of the story, and then I'll feel sorry for the child
and the ferret.  But will I feel I have blood on my hands?  Not any more
than if a dog or cat did this.

Sherry