From:
Date:
Wed, 30 Dec 1998 00:38:25 -0800
>From:    "Sheri M." <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Bravo, Judith . . .

I nearly responded to Judith's post.

Shelter's should NOT get a free ride on bad conditions.  People who shoose
to operate shelters should do just that.  Ferrets kept in bad conditions
are not being sheltered.

>Checking city ordinances to shut someone down seems underhanded.

Haven't "shelters" done just that to shut down breeders that they thought
weren't up to snuff?  Whats good for the goose is good for the gander.

Obviously those of us who haven't seen the situation first hand can only
comment on what someone else reports rather than our own observations.

I've heard descriptions of a few "shelters" that were horrid.  Same for
some breeders.

>I'm not trying to make enemies, but nothing bothers me more than people
>stabbing other people in the back.  It's cowardly, and it doesn't HELP
>the SITUATION at all.  If you really do care, then dive in and help this
>shelter become a better place for ferrets.

I'm not sure whether I agree with this.  Those who choose to operate
shelters are indeed choosing.  If they can't handle the load they need to
set their limits to what that can handle instead.  If they can't handle it
then they need to change what they are doing.  They should not depend upon
others to allow them to continue exactly how they were going.  This reminds
me of addicts and co-dependents.

>From:    Edward Lipinski <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Blood on our hands
>May I suggest that as a spokesman (?) for such a wonderful org as the Utah
>United Ferret Org. that Mr. Rick qualify his "wonderful companion" words
>to reflect the KNOWN & DOCUMENTED & PROVEN behavior of some few ferrets
>that have in the past, do now in the present, and will continue in the
>future to cause serious physical and possibly mental damage to human
>infants and to children (kids).

You tried this rant against us before.  Not everything that is said needs
to be qualified to the point of hiding the truth.  Too many disclaimers
are as bad as not enough warnings.

I can not in all honesty say that there is a "known, documented, and
proven" behvior in ferrets to injure infants and children.  There just
isn't enough evidence to state it anywhere near that strongly.

I know of no animal that I really think is much safer with children than
ferrets.  Certainly not dogs and cats.  All animals can injure children in
some way.  Even little 2 inch turtles can end up being a salmonella risk.

Everything is a risk and we should acknowledge the risk - yes.  It is
slight NOT the dread horror you state.  Nearly everyone here acknowledges
that children should not be left unsupervised with children.  That is
plenty of disclaimer and does not need to be said everytime we say ferrets
are wonderful pets.  And yes for children too.  Our son has his "own"
ferret though at about 4, he obviously isn't the primary caregiver.

>From:    bosshart <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Nominees for the Larry King show

Not exactly the pair I would choose to represent my interests.

--
bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets