From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Sep 1998 16:10:39 -0700
>...have been wanting to buy a ferret but after reading the FML for a few
>days I get the impression that ferrets aren't the healthiest of animals.
>Is that really the case or is it that people don't bother to write in all
>the time to say that their pet is healthy?  Also, with all this talk of
>veterinary costs it makes me wonder just how much it would cost to care for
>a ferret.

Just thought I'd respond to this post to say, I have four ferrets ranging
in age from 6 months to 3 years old and all four are VERY healthy and happy
babies!

The FML is a great forum to get advice and support from others who may be
going through sickness, problems and other ferrety issues, therefore, the
percentage of sick ferts to healthy ones appears skewed.  For the most
part, you need to be able to afford yearly vet visits, including checkup
and distemper/rabies shots, but also *plan* to be prepared for possible
illnesses/bigger vet care for later in the ferret's life.

Trust me, though, it's NOT as bad as the FML sometimes makes it appear!
Other than a relatively easy bout with ECE one year ago, none of my ferrets
have had any health problems....

hope that helps!

A fuzzy lover in the forbidden CaCa state....
[JH]