From:
Tatia Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Sep 1998 16:10:10 -0500
My grandmother would always put "Campho Phenique" on our chigger bites.  It
stung like heck, but worked.  I have no idea if it's safe for ferrets (I
would guess not).  Another home remedy for "redbugs" is to paint over the
critter (redbug, not ferret) with clear nail polish so he can't "breathe" -
this kills 'em too.  Probably not feasable for furbabies (although Taz used
to let my mother paint his toenails - If you can believe that.  I was
hysterical when I came over one day and Taz had red toenails!  Mom said
he would sit still and let her do it to all four feet.)

Did we ever decide if Tea Tree oil was safe for ferrets?  If it is safe, I
imagine that it would have a similar effect as the Campho and wouldn't hurt
the ferret if he licked it.  Perhaps an oatmeal bath to soothe the itching.
Soak a small muslin bag (or a cheesecloth sachet) filled with (uncooked,
plain - or with raisins removed and saved for an after bath treat) oatmeal
in warm bathwater - swish it around for a few minutes before putting the
ferret (or yourself) in.  This also soothes poison ivy and just about any
minor skin irritation.

Hope somebody on the list comes up with a workable answer.  I live in the
South too and could easily end up with the same problem.

Dooks to all.

Tatia, Harpo and Spanky