From:
"Sheri M." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Sep 1998 16:49:32 -0500
Hi all--

I disagree with the anonymous poster who "waited out" the swollen vulva.
A female non-breeding ferret with a swollen vulva should be seen by a vet.
Especially if she is supposed to be spayed.

Two good reasons that I can think of:

1) The adrenal people know what they're talking about.  Adrenal disease
causes hormone changes and I suspect these levels can fluctuate and the
disease "back off" to prepare for a stronger attack.  Whatever--I'm not
sure how it all works physiologically . . . but cancers don't always
progress steadily.  Perhaps the antibodies in the ferret stave off the
symptoms for a time.  That doesn't mean the animal is desease free.

2) Personal experience--I had a ferret that was an early spay from
Marshall, and she went into heat.  The vet found one ovary removed, the
other intact.  He told me that they spay so early that it's possible the
organs weren't developed enough to be seen and removed, or that growing
ovarian tissue was left behind.  My girl was 1/2 spayed, and she did go
into heat.  And she could have contratcted aplastic anemia.  He finished
the spay even though she was currently in heat, and she made a perfect
recovery from the surgery within a day.

I suggest a female ferret with unexpected vulva swelling be seen by a vet
to find out what's going on.

--Sheri